Saturday, March 21, 2015

Where the Sidewalk Ends: Machakil Ha

It's Women's Health month here in Belize and the Ministry of Health is doing PAP smear campaigns around the district. Hillside was asked to help out with providing PAP smears in some of the remote communities here. There are 2 villages that are only reachable by hiking in or by horse, Graham Creek and Machakil Ha. I hiked in to Graham Creek in December with the Maternal and Child Health Nurse and the Community Health Workers. It was a muddy amazing adventure that I will share pictures of when I get them.
On Friday, we started in Dolores (Remember my End of the Road post?) and hiked in to Machakil Ha with a physician working with the Ministry of Health as well as the Maternal Child Health Nurse, Community Health Workers, Peace Corps Volunteers and our long term volunteer, Jacob. We drove the Jeep as far as it would go through this...


And then finished the trek on foot (except Nurse Albia, who opted for the horse) while horses carried in our supplies.



It is amazing to be able to visit these communities! I am truly grateful that my work takes me to such amazing places! Just another day at the office!


No comments:

Post a Comment