It's been great to get back in the swing of things at the clinic. I love getting back out in to the jungle on the mobile units and I love seeing my regular patients in the home clinic. Also...exciting news...the Ministry of Health has asked me to create some training materials for the community health workers here! I'm so excited about doing this! It is difficult because they don't have the "stuff" they need to do the work that they need to do (stethoscopes, BP cuffs, etc.) but I am hoping to find some funding to leave each community health worker with some basic equipment. Anyway, I have been wanting to help with training since I got here, so here it is! I have a couple of fabulous Peace Corps volunteers to help me out with the project and we are also trying to recruit some volunteer help from the states.
Getting back into the swing of things at school for Deirdre and Brennan has also been good, though they would never admit it. Brennan decided that he liked his hair a bit on the long side before we moved here. Then they started school...in a Mennonite school...with a uniform and dress code...and hair requirements. Deirdre's has to be up; Brennan's has to be short. He likes to push it, though, and does not get his hair cut until the principal tells him it is time. We found a barber we like here, but I think Brennan just sits and envies the man's long dreads. Okay, maybe not the dreads, but the freedom to grow them.We had to visit him a couple of weekends ago for what Brennan hopes is his last clip.
That Sunday was a good day, though - we went ziplining! About 30 minutes up the highway is a cool place to go, so we decided to finally try it out.
We went back and forth across the river, atop the jungle canopy, and literally through the trees! I kept asking, "Are you SURE we aren't going to hit that?" He was sure.
| Who's going first? Rock, paper, scissors decides! |
| Above the jungle canopy! |
| The climb up to the final zipline |
All of this...too cool
ReplyDelete