WARNING! Not for the squeamish....
I asked Deirdre what she thought about me posting this - is it still too soon? Her response was that it is always too soon, but that I could go ahead and post anyway. She is such a trooper.
That bite on her back? My poor little lady was bitten by something carrying the eggs of a botfly. The larva hatched and grew under her skin. Her discomfort was feeling the little devil chew away at her flesh for weeks. Ew! Several of the docs and nurse practitioners (all from the states) looked at the little hole in her back and thought "Hmm, strange, but not infected and not looking too bad." It was only after I said, "Let me get a good look at this with my headlamp (thank you, friends at Rushville Community Health Center!)" that I saw the little beast coming out for air. I was really grossed out but didn't know what manner of worm was inside my child! I took her to the doc here in Punta Gorda and said "I know it's a worm, but I don't know what kind. YOU know your worms - I don't!" Dr. Arzu took a brief look and said "It's a beefworm. People here just take them out in the villages. They don't need a doctor. I would take it out right now but someone is in labor and about to deliver a baby so I can't. Just put some petroleum jelly on it and take it out when it comes out for air."
Deirdre did not sleep that night and we repeatedly put anbesol in the hole to numb him throughout the night. The next morning, the medical director here, Mischa, opened the clinic and put some lidocaine in her back but was not successful in removing said beastie. We occluded again and waited. By the time evening rolled around, we couldn't wait anymore. Mischa reinjected Deirdre with lidocaine and squeezed while his partner, Carly, tweezed. Success! Beastie was removed. Thank you Mischa and Carly!
We then sent the beast out to sea on a watermelon rind funeral pyre while listening to Fall Out Boy's "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark" Light 'em up up up, light 'em up up up - I'm on fire! So long sucker!
Apparently camphor prevents the eggs from hatching, so we now put a spot of vick's vapor rub on almost all of our bites! (At least I do - no larva under my skin, please!)
I asked Deirdre what she thought about me posting this - is it still too soon? Her response was that it is always too soon, but that I could go ahead and post anyway. She is such a trooper.
That bite on her back? My poor little lady was bitten by something carrying the eggs of a botfly. The larva hatched and grew under her skin. Her discomfort was feeling the little devil chew away at her flesh for weeks. Ew! Several of the docs and nurse practitioners (all from the states) looked at the little hole in her back and thought "Hmm, strange, but not infected and not looking too bad." It was only after I said, "Let me get a good look at this with my headlamp (thank you, friends at Rushville Community Health Center!)" that I saw the little beast coming out for air. I was really grossed out but didn't know what manner of worm was inside my child! I took her to the doc here in Punta Gorda and said "I know it's a worm, but I don't know what kind. YOU know your worms - I don't!" Dr. Arzu took a brief look and said "It's a beefworm. People here just take them out in the villages. They don't need a doctor. I would take it out right now but someone is in labor and about to deliver a baby so I can't. Just put some petroleum jelly on it and take it out when it comes out for air."
Deirdre did not sleep that night and we repeatedly put anbesol in the hole to numb him throughout the night. The next morning, the medical director here, Mischa, opened the clinic and put some lidocaine in her back but was not successful in removing said beastie. We occluded again and waited. By the time evening rolled around, we couldn't wait anymore. Mischa reinjected Deirdre with lidocaine and squeezed while his partner, Carly, tweezed. Success! Beastie was removed. Thank you Mischa and Carly!
| This was where he was living in Deirdre's back |
| Beastie himself - he held on tight with those awful barbs! |
We then sent the beast out to sea on a watermelon rind funeral pyre while listening to Fall Out Boy's "My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark" Light 'em up up up, light 'em up up up - I'm on fire! So long sucker!
Apparently camphor prevents the eggs from hatching, so we now put a spot of vick's vapor rub on almost all of our bites! (At least I do - no larva under my skin, please!)
So long, horrible creature!!!!
ReplyDeletealso...squeamish?
ReplyDeleteSqueamish indeed. Thanks for catching my typo!
ReplyDelete